Kayla Harrison: Fighting Back | Lara

by - 12:34 pm

Two-time Olympic gold medalist Kayla Harrison has always been a fighter--yet as a young teen, no one knew she was also a victim. Combining Kayla's powerful story of sexual abuse by her judo coach with science-based information from two renowned therapists, this unique book provides critical guidance for parents and professionals. Learn how to spot the signs that a child or teen is being groomed, why kids stay silent about their trauma, how they struggle with self-blame and the brutal betrayal of a trusted authority figure, and exactly what kind of help they need to recover. No one is more qualified than Kayla and her expert coauthors to explain the impact of child sexual abuse--and what you can do to keep kids safe.



“My failure became my fuel.” 

I don't usually like reading nonfiction books, but Kayla Harrison's Fighting Back really left an impression I wouldn’t expect a nonfiction book to make. I admire her both as an athlete and a person and I really wanted to read this book, to hear her story that is also a story of many more innocent children.

Kayla Harrison is a double Olympic Champion from the USA. She won gold medals in judo both in London 2012 and Rio de Jainero 2016 in a weight category -78 kg. She started doing judo when she was 6 years old and was abused by her former coach at the age of 12. Her story is both heartbreaking and inspiring, and so, so important. Child sexual abuse thrives in silence, in people who are too afraid or ashamed to speak up. There are so many stories like Kayla’s and so many more children who have suffered terribly and never gotten to experience their childhood as a happy child. I know how much I love judo and how much it means to me, and the thought of someone suffering so much that it brings her to a point where she wants to quit everything and commit suicide breaks my heart. I can only ever imagine how hard this must have been for her, and the more I know about her the more I can only wish to ever get close to her bravery and determination.

Fighting Back is written by Kayla and two psychologists Cynthia S. Kaplan and Blaise Aguirre. It consists of Kayla’s diary entries, her own words and psychological advice about recognizing and preventing child sexual abuse. This book is really hard and it shook me on a whole different level, but I think parents should read them to see and learn because these things aren’t as uncommon as everybody thinks. Don’t stay silent and don’t be afraid!

“My name is Kayla Harrison. I am 27 years old. I am a world champion. I am America’s first Olympic champion in judo. I am a friend. Sister. Daughter. Granddaughter. Student. Blonde. Jokester. Reader. Fighter. Mountain climber. Movie buff. Trivia maniac. Baseball fan. Shopaholic. I am all of these things and more. But this is not all I have been. I was a victim for a very long time, and now I am a Survivor.”

You May Also Like

0 komentari