Holly Black: The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1)

by - 2:50 pm


"Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever." "And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe." Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King. To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences. As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

Lara

After their parents are violently murdered in front of their eyes, three sisters are brought to Faerie by their mother’s former husband (who is also the person who murdered them, just to be clear). In this beautiful, but cruel world each one of them tries to fit in and make their lives less miserable.

When I started reading this book I had some mixed opinions about it, but the further I got, the harder it was for me to stop reading. Schemes, spying, mystery and betrayal, plus some fantasy elements and interesting protagonist - perfect material for a good book.

Plot develops slowly, but it’s worth the wait. This book has just the perfect amount of drama, mystery, love, action and cliffhangers. Holy Black certainly knows how to entertain a reader, by slowly developing the plot and representing all aspects which are important for understanding main character. Minor spoiler: After revelation of Locke and Taryn’s relationship I could barely leave book for few seconds. Every puzzle and reveal made this book even more interesting and enjoyable. Only thing I disliked is another book with faerie thematics, I must say I am kind of sick of those...

Anoter thing that makes this book so amazing are characters. They are all unique and equally fun to read. There is no black and white and a lot of character's acts can be considered 'morally gray'.

Jude is one unique and soo interesting character. I enjoyed reading her and she is amazingly well written and developed. In the beginning we have scared girl who just wants to fit in and get her peaceful life as a knight. Jude becomes interesting the second she decides to stand up to high-born, cocky bullies who consider her less worthy for she is mortal. I loved her determined and will in stoping them and not giving up. From naive she becomes fearless and ruthless. She takes care for herself and craves power.

“Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.”

Even after murders and betrayals she still cares for her family and does everything to protect them. She could have done anything with Cardan as prisoner, but she decided her brother is more important than glory.

Although I loved Jude I hope to see more of other characters, because I find there is so much potential for them. Hope to see more interactions between Cardan and Jude and the way their relationship will develop.

Cardan seems like and intersting character and even more interesting love interest. Relationship between him and Jude is toxic and they hate each other (for now), but imo that makes it even more intense. His perspective is something I need in my life more than anything and hope to get it in Wicked King!

This book is honestly great and I recommend it to everyone with interest in fantasy.



You May Also Like

3 komentari

  1. I LOVE characters which put family before anything so now this book sounds even better :D

    Also, I'm a sucker for hate-to-love romance and that's why it got on my TBR list in the first place XD

    I've heard some people even compare it to Game of Thrones because of all the violence, betrayals, scheming and so on. I haven't watched the show, but those elements are always interesting to read about XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree! Although Jude is driven by selfish motives like power, she still takes care of her family.
    Romance is honestly, really intense. I might even say it is toxic, but I don't mind, in fact it even makes it more interesting.
    I don't know about Game of thrones, I haven't noticed any similarities before although I can see some. There is a lot of politics and court schemes, but where in GoT there are several PoVs and main characters here we have Jude as center of the plot.
    I think you should read it and I hope you'll like it.
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree - it's far more interesting to see a relationship develop between people who are on opposite sides and have different views :)

      It's definitely on my TBR ;D

      Delete