Josephine Angelini: Goddess (Starcrossed #3) | Lara

by - 5:13 pm


After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count.
To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas’s life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores.
In Josephine Angelini’s compelling conclusion to the masterfully woven Starcrossed trilogy, a goddess must rise above it all to change a destiny that’s been written in the stars. With worlds built just as fast as they crumble, love and war collide in an all-out battle that will leave no question unanswered and no heart untouched. 

“She had power over the most magnificent forces on Earth, but she still didn’t feel like she had power over the most important thing of all—her own heart.”

After mixing their blood and becoming blood brothers Helen, Lucas and Orion are the reason another war between gods and Scions has started. While they try to unriddle the prophecy and hide themselves from the Fates, gods roam the Earth and kill innocent people. Helen tries to find a way to imprison gods once and for all and compete the Fates’ cycle. She is becoming more powerful every day and has problems with controlling her power around those she loves. In order to succeed all Scions must unite in order to save themselves and rest of the world.

This is probably the most accurate description of Goddess, and, for that matter, the whole series. Remember when I said that I hope it gets even better after Dreamless. Well, it does… not.
My mind is a complete mess after reading this book and I realized the more time passed since I finished it, the more I realize I don’t actually hate it. In fact, book was pretty good and interesting to read, but the problem is, I don’t know how to say this differently than ANNOYING. This book was extremely annoying to read. I couldn’t enjoy the plot and the story itself because of some basic things like characters’ interactions, writing style, dialogues or love interests that made me just want to drown myself after reading them.

Plot was intense and interesting and intense mostly from the other half of the book, since for the first 45% there wasn’t anything except forming plans and recovering from the riots. The rest of it was intense, with a lot of twists, unexpected revelations and battles. Parallels with Trojan War and roles everyone was set to play made it even more interesting, but not predictable. Even if the reader knew course and outcome of the ancient war, they couldn’t predict fates of certain characters or outcome of the war itself. *spoilery part* Part I enjoyed reading most was the battle where they turned against each other, but it was finished a bit too quickly. *spoilery part is over*

Aside from good pacing and intensity of the plot there were few things I didn’t like and I just couldn’t get over them. First of all, I hate when authors bring characters back to life. The whole concept of endangering characters and making wars seem realistic is ruined that way. *spoiler* When Hector died, I was sad because he was one of my favorite characters, but I didn’t want him to come back just because it makes it unrealistic. Then comes Lucas’s trade with Hades. That was one of the things that annoyed me the most. After he made the vow and bound himself to Underworld, comes Helen and saves him with 5-minute-talk with the dead. 
 I’m sorry, but after that any chance of me taking this book seriously was gone.

I don’t know what is the thing with dialogues between main characters. There is just this weird slang that was supposed to be funny or something, but instead it just stabbed me in the eye and bled me to death every time I saw something like ‘unbefrickinglievable’ or ‘I can’t effin believe it’

Helen remained super annoying with her whining about Lucas and pretending to be all-mighty leader/savior, when in fact she didn’t do one thing by herself. She hid behind other people’s solutions and fights entire time, having contributed with nothing except her incredible power.
Aside from me hating Helen as a character from the bottom of my soul, there was another problem with characters. There was just too many of them. When there is so many important characters in a book this short there just isn’t enough room for the to properly develop and become lovable. I haven’t come to love one single character. There were some I am fond of like Hector and Orion, but except for Helen not one character was properly developed with good backstory and characterization. Even Lucas, the insta-love interest, didn’t get anything except being hot and intelligent. Others were no more than hot, but loud best friend, best friend's love interest, another best friend, another best friend's love interest or guy who is hated by his entire family and plays the role of the third wheel in a tragic love triangle.

Everything in this book had some positive and negative traits, except love interactions. I don’t even have words for the disaster that are love interactions and relationships in these books. There is no chemistry between anyone, except for Helen and Orion. Helen and Lucas fell in love after few days of holding hands and got mixed up in a terrible love triangle. I honestly hoped Orion would be endgame, because, hey, there was at least some connection between him and Helen. After that there is Claire and Jason and Matt and Ardiane who just fell in love, although there is a bit more development with them. But then comes the disaster. Hector and Andy. How? She looks at her and is all like ‘hey this is the love of my life’. They talked once, slept together and next minute she yells she loves him.

After everything I probably would recommend you to read Starcrossed if you are a fan of Greek mythology and if you aren’t too critical toward cliché characters and love interests. Series as a whole will probably earn solid 3 stars from me, although Goddess is something less than that.

You May Also Like

0 komentari