Kerri Maniscalco: Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper #1)

by - 10:41 am



Presented by James Patterson's new children's imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion...
Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.
Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.
The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling, #1 New York Times bestselling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.

Lara | ★★★★★

“No advancement in science is worth causing pain.”

Young Audrey Rose Wadsworth studies forensics as her uncle’s apprentice, alongside with charming, sarcastic and endlessly mysterious young gentleman Thomas Cresswell. In the time of Jack the Ripper’s vicious murders, which all seem to be connected to Audrey’s family, our two main characters start an investigation that leads them to shocking conclusions and unexpected revelations.

After months and months of reading mostly fantasy some criminal/horror novel was exactly what I needed. I liked this book a lot and it was really enjoyable. Since I have few interests in medicine and forensics (and crimes ofc), it was even easier to understand plot and follow characters’ thoughts.

First of all I liked writing style a lot. Descriptions are fluid and easy to read, while dialogues match style of those times. I love reading conversations written in older english, especially when there is a lot of sarcasm and teasing. London in Victorian Era is something I really enjoy reading about, their culture and the way society works. Chapters weren’t too long and I finished book rather quickly. I loved reading about mystery and crime since I was little so I really enjoyed reading about murders, autopsies, puzzles and cases that were set trough the whole book.

Although I usually prefer third person perspective over first person, this book covered all characters and happenings from first person well enough. It is probably because the main character is amazing and has wide views of things happening around her. I liked her perspective, although I would like to see some things from Thomas’s PoV.

Audrey Rose is one strong female character I liked a lot and enjoyed reading about her. I liked the way she deals with male figures in her life, fighting for her place in society. Her braveness and strength impressed me trough the whole book. She could be a bit reckless, but she learned from her mistakes. I liked her way of thinking and agreed with her in many ways and points of view (religious stances, women’s part in society...). She impressed me with her will to be independent and do what she loves, even if judged by society. She still likes to dress like a proper lady and likes to look her best, even though she hates courting and tea parties. Things I enjoyed reading about were Audrey’s relationships with her father and brother. It was really hard for her to deal with her father who tries to keep her in house and doesn’t support her uncle’s profession. She thinks he blames her for mother’s death and his addiction does not make it easier for her. I was really happy in the end when they found some kind of peace together and her father started supporting her. Nathaniel and Audrey’s relationship was something so sweet and *spoiler* it broke my heart when it turned out he was the killer. Audrey is really strong, but I’m sure that kind of thing will be really hard to get over. 

I instantly fell in love with Thomas Cresswell. He is brilliant and soo funny, I lived for his comments. “Shameless flirt” are two perfect words and I love how he was teasing Audrey, although he actually meant half of those love statements. He is still a huge mystery and I’m excited to read more about his family and understand his coldness and emotional walls he closes around himself.


“I thought I was going to lose you.” He ran both hands through his hair, pacing away and coming back. “I saw blood—I thought he’d slit your throat. I thought—”

...

“You must know what you mean to me? Surely you must know how I feel about you, Audrey Rose. The thought of losing you…”

The two of them are perfect together and I really like how there is no forbidden romance or love triangles, but only obstacles of their emotions. And big plus for this book is that romance was not interfering with the plot. There was just the right amount of fluff and tension without storyline being constantly interrupted by makeout sessions or something like that.

The only thing I didn’t quite like is that there is a lot information about victims and case that remained unclear. *minor spolier* For example I thought we were going to get more about friendship between those four and engagement between miss Emma Elizabeth Smith and Audrey’s uncle. I also expected Thomas and Audrey will find Ripper by clues and riddles, this was more like a coincidence.

All in all, I liked this book a lot an it was really interesting. There was always something happening and it is intriguing, but easy to read.
I recommend it to everyone who likes some mystery and trust me it is amazing.

Lina | ★★★★★

I’ve read this book in (almost) one go. And I think that pretty much speaks enough for itself, considering how long it usually takes me to read a book because, quite frankly, I get too easily distracted and/or bored.

This book, though, was everything but boring. I had a feeling something was happening at all times and I liked the way the story just “flowed” from one chapter to the other. The chapters were relatively short (I have a feeling that after reading Cassandra Clare’s books everything will feel short for me lol), and each time I finished one chapter I told myself “just another one”. And before I knew it, I finished the entire book.

The writing style was just to my liking, no too many too long descriptions nor weird metaphors (yes, Cassandra, I’m looking at you), yet it said enough. And even though I normally dislike first person POV, because it tends to be annoying and/or boring, I didn’t have an issue with it here because the main character—Audrey Rose— is freaking awesome!

Even though she lives in a society where women are looked down upon (late 19th century London), she is passionate, brave, stubborn and defies society’s rules time and time again. Forensics and sience interest her, and she continues learning even though everyone around her considers it improper for a young lady of her station. At the same time, she is feminine and enjoys a nice dress, and gets on splendidly with her cousin Liza, even though they are almost nothing alike. I have to admit I was angry at her a few times, with her recklessly endangering herself, but I like that she also admitted when she was wrong and listened to Thomas when he tried to knock some sense into her.

When I think about it, one of the things I actually liked most about this book were the characters. There are no ultimately good nor ultimately bad characters. All of them have both the dark and the light side to their personality, and at the end, it’s them who choose which one will prevail. There’s also no prejudice—just because Audrey Rose is interested in forensics, doesn’t mean she is boyish. Just because Liza is girly, doesn’t mean she is not smart nor strong in her own way.
And of course, there’s Thomas ♥️ I think I can’t possibly explain how likeable and simply adorable he is. He was teasing and from time to time arrogant, but from the begining we could see the gentle side of him as well and I loved how much he cared for Audrey Rose *u* He respected her and knew she was as capable as him, but still couldn’t help being protective of her from time to time—simply adorable! Also I liked how there was no insta-love involved and chemistry between them just seemd to grow till the end and now I can’t wait to read the sequal ans see the two of them in Romania *Q*

Last but not the least, I think I should mention the murders, since they are actually the main part of the story. The mistery was very well written, and them looking for clues and suspecting people close to them or even each other seemed realistic enough. I have to admit I was surprised at who the murderer actually was because, although it crossed my mind at some point, it just didn’t seem likely enough at that time. Anyways, can’t wait to read the next book!

You May Also Like

2 komentari

  1. SO MUCH AGREE^

    I think I would die of happiness if we got Thomas's POV in the last book *u* I'd also like to see more of Liza, I think she has lots of potential. I'm not even gonna start talking about Thomas because I might not stop XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess I desperately want to read that novella "Meeting Thomas Creswell" and Liza seems like a best cousin in the universe
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete