Teherah Mafi: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) | Lara

by - 3:06 pm



I have a curse

I have a gift

I am a monster

I'm more than human

My touch is lethal

My touch is power

I am their weapon

I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


I read this book more than a week ago, and on first impression I would have given it 2 stars, but the more I thought about it the more I realized there wasn’t anything I liked about it.
This book caught my attention recently, as I saw it was pretty popular and not too long, I decided to give it a shot. I saw a lot of negative reviews, pointing out things I didn’t like myself, but there were also a lot of people who loved it and recommended it a lot so I went to it pretty much without any expectation. The truth was I hated it, really.

Biggest problem about this book is it’s writing style. I knew it was supposed to be told from a perspective of MC writing in her notebook, but it was sooo terrible and annoying. Sentences were chopped, thoughts half-finished. I get that author was trying to create an impression Juliette was half mad, but constantly repeating same thoughts and crossing-out every third sentence made me mad myself. Every third word was repeated several times and I am sure book would be half its size if it weren’t for that. I get it, you are crazy, and I can read, so it is utterly unnecessary to mention how scared scared scared scared you are or how much you want to die die die die.
This is probably just me because I haven’t seen any negative comments about this, but I had this huge problem with numbers in writing. Like, I don’t know what kind of impression author was trying to make with that, but I find it completely unnecessary to mention the exact number of steps you took from door to door (instead of 6 steps just write few steps or something).

“They shift as one, 5 steps backward, 5 steps forward, 5 steps standing in place.”
“His face is 10,000 possibilities staring straight trough me.” 
(what is wrong with “thousand possibilities” or “infinite amount of possibilities”?)
“After inhaling 594 times Adam…” or “1,320 seconds walk into the room before he does”.

I still can't believe these are actual quotes from a book.

Writing style was bad, but not as bad as purple prose author decided to use. First of all, you can’t write half of your sentences like a 12-year-old on Wattpad and rest of them in some bad attempt of heart-breaking metaphors. I, personally, have NOTHING against purple prose if metaphors actually make sense and are not over exaggerated.
“He smiles with teeth so white it looks like snow falling on the chocolate valleys of his face.”
“I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end.”

Another huge problem I had with Shatter Me was its plot. I promise you I am not overstating, in more than 300 pages NOTHING HAPPENS. She is in one place most of the time, whining about how sad and lonely she is and how much she hates Warner. There is two chapters of action and zero plot twists, which successfully makes this book the most boring one I have read entire year.

It was supposed to be dystopian novel, but there isn’t much we know about this futuristic Earth or mysterious government that ruined everything. Let’s be honest. This is a bad romance novel. Most of the plot is centered around Juliette and Adam and, to be honest, I have a feeling Juliette is going to end up with Warner in the end. Not that I particularly care.

World building was interesting and, in the beginning, I had a really good feeling about people with special abilities fighting The Reestablishment, but so many things were left undeveloped and untold.

I hated Juliette’s character, because she is, like the rest of the book, boring. She is super bland and I don’t stand Mary Sue’s especially if they are weak and whiny. Besides being beautiful (surprise, but she doesn’t know it), nice, wanted by every boy/man/creature in universe and flawless, she is also illogical. Imagine having amazing ability to cause pain only by touching someone. Your whole life she has been sided and hated, and the only thing she wants is to be left alone, or die. She has a chance to fight back and prove her worth, but self-pitying and praying for death is, obviously, more alluring.

“He reaches to touch my arms and the feeling only makes me more desperate to die. He sighs and pulls me up, just enough to lift my head. His hands trap my face and his eyes search me until I look away. ‘I know what happened,’ he says softly. My throat is a reptile, covered in scales. ‘Someone should just kill me.’

Half of the time she is being selfless (pretending to be, at least) and the other half she is being clingy while Adam’s world is slowly falling apart (by her fault of course).

“Adam doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t tell me to be brave. He doesn’t ask me if I’, okay, if I’m scared. He doesn’t offer me encouragement or assure me that we’ll be just fine. He doesn’t tell me to leave him behind…”

I don’t plan on finishing these series although I hate leaving something unfinished, but I don’t think I could pull this trough.

You May Also Like

2 komentari

  1. It's a shame you don't plan on continuing, but I get it XD

    I'm a huge fan of the series BUT I became one after reading the ending of book 2 XD Also, I've read this book in 2015 when I was a total book noob and it was one of my first fantasy series. Anyways, where was I going with this... Ah yes. The writing in the first book is nuts. The romance takes over and there's very little plot. I've also complained about metaphors in my review and they are just too cringy, e.g.:

    "James and Adam glance back at me and I melt into pink Play-Doh."

    But, luckily for us, the writing changes in the sequels. There are no crossed sentences and the metaphors are left at the bare minimum. And I can't not mention Juliette's character development, trust me, she becomes so kick ass it's amazing *u*

    Anyways, if you change your mind - great, if not - great again XD You'll have more time to find and read a series you're gonna really love :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, now I'm reconsidering my choices.
    I was 100% sure I would not continue it, but now I even might keep reading because books aren't that long, and if they are improving, why not.
    Thanks for the advice :)
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete