Marie Lu: Legend (Legend #1) | Lara

by - 11:09 pm

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.




“If you want to rebel, rebel from inside the system.That's much more powerful than rebelling outside the system.”


I didn't realize how much I wanted this book to be good until I didn't like it. I've read several positive ratings, few recommendations and I liked all Marie Lu's books so far. I don't actually know why I feel like this about Legend. There isn't anything in particular I hated, this book just felt dull and mediocre. There wasn't anything special about it, anything that would catch my attention or make me interested in characters and plot. Basically, the whole time I was thinking "Okay, what else". I felt like I was constantly waiting for something amazing to happen that will make me cry with joy, but that never happened.


So, what is this book about? After floods that destroyed most of the east coast, dystopian America is divided into Republic and Colonies who are constantly at war. All kids, at age of 10, must take a test called Trial which determines their fate based on their usefulness to the Republic. Country is military oriented and economic gap between the poor and the rich is getting bigger and bigger. People are unsatisfied and rebellions are more frequent as the time passes. People from poorer sectors are starving and dying from lethal plagues, while wealthier enjoy vaccinations and benefits of their status.
Day is a 15-year-old rebel, who is famous all over the Republic for destroying government's military objects and properties. He ended up on streets when he failed his Trial and is on his own since then. Despite them thinking he is dead, Day still responsible for his family and helps them any way he can, by stealing food and clothes and giving them to his older brother (the only one who knows he is alive). Everything changes when he sees his home's door marked with plague marks and finds out his younger brother is sick.
June is also 15 and Republic's most prosperous prodigy – she scored 100% (1500/1500) on her Trial, which no one managed to do except her. She is from a rich family, attends college with students several years older than her. She has lost both her parents in a car accident and is raised by her older brother Matthias. His sudden and suspicious death gets her a spot on a mission where she might cross paths with the Republic's most wanted criminal.


I feel about the world building the same way I feel about the book itself – it was cool but somehow average-y and unimpressive. I liked Lu's idea and how she described and developed everything, but I just couldn't get into the spirit of it. Plot was a bit too slow for my liking, but the author still kept it interesting with constant action and missions, but most things were generally predictable.
I can say I was surprised by the fact how much the writing annoyed me since I usually love Lu's style. Other two Lu's series I read (Warcross and The Young Elites) impressed me with their fluidity and amazing writing, descriptions, and dialogues, but I can't say the same for Legend (okay, that is probably because she wrote it before). I just hated that weird unnecessary slang that appeared, and the descriptions weren't my cup of tea either.

The characters Lu represented were supposed to be inspiring and breathtaking, a 15-year-old legend and military genius, but I could only read through their povs with a minimal amount of emotion. There is just something resentful and dull about their characters. Even the emotional reactions they experienced while grieving for their family seemed forced and unrealistic. The only thing I liked was the rich-poor contrast Lu created between them and the differences between their backgrounds even though they aim for the same objectives.

All in all, I can just say I was mostly unimpressed with this book, which doesn't mean it's bad. This is the easiest 3-star rating I will ever give. I will finish the Legend series, but I doubt I'll like the rest more than I liked the first book.

You May Also Like

0 komentari