Sabaa Tahir: A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes #3) | Lara

by - 7:01 pm


The highly anticipated third book in Sabaa Tahir's New York Times bestselling EMBER QUARTET.

Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.
The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.
Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.
And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion--even at the cost of his humanity.


Wow, I can’t believe I am already finished with reading the third book of an Ember Quartet - these books had such a huge impact on my life both in and outside of books. I fell in love with this world, these characters and places multiple times, I cried, laughed, feared and celebrated alongside them and I really feel like these books filled a huge hole in my heart. I know I probably sound pathetic, but I think a good book should make the reader really feel, and leave a sense of longing, but also satisfaction after finishing, like this book, did with me.

I was in a real Game of Thrones mood after all the hype season 8 caused, so Tahir’s books kind of fell out of the heaven, right onto my lap and in my life. I was so sure A Reaper at the Gates was to be a last and the final book in the trilogy, and I felt like there was really no way everything will get resolved. You can probably guess how thrilled I was to here there was to be the fourth book in 2020.

“Curse this world for what it does to the mothers, for what it does to the daughters. Curse it for making us strong through loss and pain, our hearts torn from our chests again and again. Curse it for forcing us to endure.” 

From the first book, the plot advanced, changed in a way and brought new tasks and adventures for every character. Tahir’s plot-advancement and world-building work in a way that simultaneously contributes to character development and adds new thrilling elements to the world and the story, creating a book that lacks absolutely nothing. With perfect pacing and timing, combined with a thorough preview in each character only proves you can have an epic and unforgettable story without tons of characters and million pages. Tahir just keeps it simple, taking the right turns with her subtle but surprising foreshadowing, making our hearts stop with plot twists and breaking them with pain this world and the characters have to endure.


“Needing protection is not a weakness. Refusing to trust your allies is.” 
This is me generally loving this book and Sabaa Tahir, but I have to say I didn’t quite enjoy all storylines this book had brought. Helena Aquilla has been my favorite ever since I started these series and it certainly remained that way. I enjoyed reading from her perspective immensely, her storyline of trying to kill the Commandant was so intense and I really want it to be her who kills Keris at the end. She is a true Blood Shrike, fierce and strong with a heart full of love for her family and country.

On the other hand, I wasn’t such a big fan of Elias and Laia’s storylines - it’s just that their characters became kind of boring and I don’t like in what direction they are going. Elias went from self-sacrificing amazing and caring badass rebel to a bland Soul Catcher who does practically nothing, and Laia, although went through a great change and I actually like what she’s doing became annoying because she’s interfering with my ship xd I know I sound like a little child, but I still haven’t gotten over Helena and Elias, I really think they are perfect for each other. But since it seems it’s too late and Tahir already has two other ships in the plan I am going to stop being a brat and wish Harper is worthy of perfect Helena’s love.

“You are my temple. You are my priest. You are my prayer. You are my release.”

You May Also Like

0 komentari