John Green: Turtles All the Way Down | Lara

by - 8:06 pm

It all begins with a fugitive billionaire and the promise of a cash reward. Turtles All the Way Down is about lifelong friendship, the intimacy of an unexpected reunion, Star Wars fan fiction, and tuatara. But at its heart is Aza Holmes, a young woman navigating daily existence within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.
In his long-awaited return, John Green shares Aza's story with shattering, unflinching clarity.








Ugh, I am so glad this is finally over because it was kind of butchering my brain. I guess it’s my thing with John Green books, I either love them or they just leave a bit meh in my head, but they just all seem to fit differently. Anyway, I severely disliked this book and I don’t even see a point of it or the meaning of its end or the point of the story or anything that happened in there except the Star Wars references.

Aza Holmes has a severe case of anxiety and intrusive thoughts that have been bothering her for most of her life. She’s tortured by her own mind and it turns normal, everyday happenings into torturing sessions in the neverending spiral of thoughts. So normal activities like kissing, holding hands and eating remind her more of bacteria and dying than everyday pleasure. Aza’s condition worsens during the book and although I’m grateful to Green for this representation, I hated being inside Aza’s head. I didn’t even know about this condition and reading this book was a shocking and inspiring way of getting to know it more, but I just couldn’t enjoy the read when it was written like that. The endless descriptions of her chewing and panicking made it impossible to develop any kind of plot, and I know it was supposed to get us readers into Aza’s head and see what it’s like to be like that, but it was infinitely annoying and boring to read.

Romance in this novel is totally useless and I don’t even see why Davis was brought into the plot (God, I only hope not for that tragical mystery of his father, that was mentioned precisely two times), but Aza and Daisy’s friendship was really cute and that was the only thing I liked in this book. The two of them respected and love each other despite their differences and difficulties and managed to go through all of it together. I appreciate this friendship for not making this book a complete waste of time.

“It's turtles all the way fucking down, Holmesy. You're trying to find the turtle at the bottom of the pile, but that's not how it works.”

You May Also Like

0 komentari