Shelby Mahurin: Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove #1) | Lara

by - 8:26 pm

This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9780062878021. An alternate cover edition can be found here.
Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.
Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.
Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.
The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.
And love makes fools of us all.

“Death couldn't take him away from me. He was me. Our souls were bound.”


In the city of Cesarine, there has been a conflict between the witches and men until the beginning of time. The two races have never found any sort of common ground and were unwilling to get past their differences in order to stop the endless disunion between the people. Louise fled her home to get away from her mother and the debt she owes to her people, her life in exchange for the freedom of all witches. She’s currently living with Coco, the blood witch and another outcast, in a room above the theatre, stealing and doing other illegal street jobs to keep herself alive. Aside from her past, Lou has been chased by every witch’s worst nightmare, the order of Chasseurs. The ruthless, vengeful, order of holy warriors whose only purpose is to destroy witches’ kind, yet Lou might get forced to get closer to the one that she’d want. Even say, marry one.

Well, after a lot of thinking and debating with myself I decided for a solid 3-star rating for this book. I saw a lot of people liking this book very much, so reading this review, you must be wondering what is wrong with it?

To answer that - nothing. Serpent & Dove is a good book. An entertaining fantasy historical fiction with impressive characters and cute romance, good writing and a promise of an encompassing sequel. I can’t find any solid things to pit against this book, yet upon getting to the end of the story I couldn’t shake the feeling of something, actually, several somethings – missing. Through the course of it, I was enveloped in the absence of that more that makes the good books spark, that makes my heart lurch, while Serpent & Dove was just… okay. When I picked up this book, I expected an adventure full of magic and I couldn’t be sorrier that I didn’t like it, but sometimes even the good ones don’t click.

I’m sorry to dislike this book because, from the moment I first encountered Louise le Blanc, my mind went wild and I was pretty damn convinced I would love it with my entire heart. The sheer energy which that girl radiates, her humor and spirit made her one of the utmost entertaining and fun characters I’ve read this year. I can’t remember the last time I had a laugh like that at one character’s expanse. The way she carries through the world is inspiring, her strength and courage exceptional and her charm dazzling. From head to toe, I loved Lou and if you can’t find any other reason to read this book, read it for her.

Lou and Reid shared an exceptional love story between the two who should have never even got a chance of being in the same room without killing each other, let alone fall in love despite the nature of their ancestries and war between their people. Reid has been thought to hate and despise his entire life, but he found a place in his heart for compassion and love, for a girl who made him see there might be another way. These two hearts might start a revolution, changing the course of the history and heal the disunion between the warring sides. I immensely enjoyed reading this heartwarming story about their love they sacrificed all to save.

“I loved her. Despite everything. Despite the lies, the betrayal, the hurt. Despite the Archbishop and Morgane le Blanc. Despite my own brothers. I don't know if she returned that love, and I didn't care. If she was destined to burn in Hell, I would burn with her.”

I’m aware this was mostly a romance-centered story, still, I couldn’t help myself but miss the thrills and dynamics of magic that is usually characteristic for a fantasy world. I see the bigger picture, I see where all things are supposed to lead too, but the extent of romance and lacking more events aside from the love story was the reason my interest in it slowly disappeared with each passing chapter. At this point I’m not even sure how much I remember about the worldbuilding and magic system, let alone characters’ complicated family relations, but I sure did get a good picture of how important Reid thinks his wife is to him. I prefer a balance between these two components and I just couldn’t find that there.

You May Also Like

0 komentari