Jenny Han: To all the Boys I've Loved Before (To all the Boys I've Loved Before #1) | Lara

by - 3:37 am



To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.




“Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.” 


I’ve been delaying this book for a while, and was surprised when I finally picked it up. I was in a mood for some short, cute book after finishing Queen of the Tearling series. I actually watched the movie before reading the book (I know I hate myself), so I had to really keep my mind open for this book. This is probably going to be a book/movie comparison more than an actual review, but oh well.

It was easy to read this book, I finished it in two days, although I had a lot stuff to do. Writing style is simple and story flows naturally, but with good descriptions and introspection in each character. Lara Jean’s perspective cover’s many characters, their backstories and series if different events.

Plot was nothing special, but definitely not boring. There was always something happening and I found myself enjoying even when nothing was happening and there were only descriptions or I knew what was going to happen, but the book still drove me to continue like I had no idea what’s ahead. There is some high school drama, but it’s not cliche and story is very original.

I enjoyed every second of if and I didn’t mind the differences between movie and book. I treated them like two different sides of the same story, only the ending seemed a bit confusing - in movie there was at least some solid closure.

Love story was really fluffy and cute, but I liked it and I see why is it so hyped.

I am so glad I read the book, mainly because of the characters. There is so much left out in the movie, but I don’t mind because it was a good adaptation. Still, some not-so-major characters did not get near enough credit they should have. Chris was one of my favorite characters from the movie, but I liked her even better when I read so much more about her in the book.

Lara Jean and Peter’s characters were pretty well developed in the movie, but I was still glad to read some detail (like why is Peter so in love with Genevieve) that made me understand one character more.

Character that was the most left out in the movie was definitely Josh. His character was not as nearly as developed as it should be for he was pretty important for Lara Jean’s development and her relationship with Margot. I found it I liked him a lot after reading a book and at some moment I even shipped him with Lara Jean.

I really loved the way Song Covey family was presented both in book and movie. I always love reading about sisterly love and their family is really cute, always taking care of each other.

I really liked reading this book and it takes little time. As always, it’s better to read it before watching the movie. I am looking forward for sequel even though i heard negative opinions about it, but I hope I like it!

You May Also Like

2 komentari

  1. I think the movie took bits of the second book to get some closure in the ending. I honestly forgot XD Anyways, they really changed Josh's character - he didn't get nearly as much screen time as the other characters and so his personality was presented differently, but I actually liked it because I hated book Josh. I can't explain it, but I just couldn't stand him. He just suddenly switched from one sister to another and ugh...I can't.

    I don't know if you've heard, but they made it official a few days ago that there's gonna be a movie sequel so yay :D Noah Centineo is so cute *u* And Lara Jean actress was also pretty good. It was slightly weird seeing Mona (Janell Parish) as Lara's sister but they were still adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought it could be something like that and I'm planning on reading the second book. I guess I am kind of thankful movie didn't leave me on a cliffhanger :)
      I liked movie Josh, he was kind of cute, but book Josh was more realistic and we could actually see he had feelings for Lara Jean so I can say I liked both, but book version was better
      As for the actors: I loved all of them (Noah and Lana especially), but Janel Parish was too old to play Margot
      -Lara

      Delete