Leigh Bardugo: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1)

by - 12:30 pm


37834723Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.


Lina | ★★★☆☆

“I wonder sometimes how much we really understand our own gifts.”

Ever since I’ve finished the Six of Crows duology, I’ve been debating whether or not I should read this series, especially after seeing more than a few negative(-ish) reviews. Now, half a year later and with King of Scars coming out in a few days and a TV show in the making, I’ve decided to finally give it a chance.

The story focuses on Alina Starkov, a girl that has been considered average her entire life. While crossing the Shadow Fold with her military regiment, their skiff is attacked by the volcra—beasts that live in the Fold and feast on human flesh—and Alina’s powers manifest. It is soon revealed that she might be the key to destroying the Fold once and for all. But first, she needs to learn to control her powers at the Little Palace, the place where Grisha are trained and sinister shenanigans are at work.

Despite being warned about it not being almost anything like Six of Crows plot- and character-wise, I was still taken aback by how “basic” this book actually was. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it practically didn’t have anything that really set it apart from dozens of other YA Fantasy books. A Chosen One™ heroine who starts off as an ugly duckling and turns to a swan and a love triangle between her, her hot childhood best friend and a tall, dark guy she’s just met—we’ve definitely seen those numerous times before. That doesn’t necessarily make the plot bad though, just way too predictable. I had most characters figured out within the first few chapters and, although there were a few scenes and twists which I didn’t really see coming, the ending ended up being quite underwhelming as it happened in the exact fashion I expected it to.

Still, even with it following the already well-known YA scheme, I wouldn’t say that the plot was the main problem I’ve had with this book. Even the dullest-sounding plot can pleasantly surprise you if combined with a good writing style (which this book had) and interesting protagonists that add their own twist to the story—which Alina unfortunately wasn’t.

When we first meet her, Alina is a physically weak, quite sickly and plain looking girl, torn from everything she knew, including her lifelong male best friend (whom she is, of course, secretly in love with) and thrust into a play of power and manipulation and Grisha. She is your typical YA “heroine”—constantly afraid, not particularly sharp, and way, way, way too gullible. I waited for the moment when she would realize at least some of her mistakes and try to change for the better, but unfortunately it didn’t seem to come. She remained the same naïve and scared girl throughout the whole book. She was overly childish and irrational, ridiculously vain, gave up way too easily and kept waiting for others to tell her what to do or make choices for her, which unfortunately influenced the story arc as well.

The thing is: as a character, Alina was extremely flat and unobservant. She doesn’t show much initiative or interest for anything except her two love interests and obsessing with her own and other characters’ looks (which is the other thing that annoyed me, but I’ll come back to that in a bit). As such, she didn’t seem to question anyone’s suspicious behavior and just went with what others told her. For example, there was this one thing that could have made an interesting mystery subplot and a nice little twist if it were Alina who actually discovered it. But as it is, we basically get to read a 100 pages of her rambling about nonsense only to have someone else tell her something that has been under her nose practically the entire time. Because, you know, she is too busy doing literally nothing to bother looking into it or even freaking notice. UGH.

Alina aside, the other characters weren’t half as bad and I actually enjoyed reading about them quite a lot. Genya was the first truly pleasant surprise of this book. She is that one character you don’t really expect to like, but end up loving. Despite being quite light and cheerful, it was obvious she has a fair share of secrets on her own and is somehow involved into the Darkling’s plans. Also, I really liked the friendship between her and Alina.

Mal was the second. I was so happy to see a MC’s childhood friend that isn’t sided, annoying, bitter and/or doesn’t stand a chance as a love interest. Mal was one of the most reasonable (and likeable) characters in this book, and I honestly don’t understand why he receives so much hate in the fandom. He stayed with Alina through thick and thin, saved her ass time and time again (even after she treated him like crap) and sacrificed his future for her. Like c’mon, that guy is way too good for her. He ended up being one of my favorites and I am really curious as to what role he would play in the rest of this series.

The Darkling—well, I guess I just can’t help being intrigued by the broody, mysterious guy with a dark past, can I? Still, even though I found him compelling to read about and can’t to find out more about his past, deeper motives and future schemes, at this moment he seems a little bit too much like a lot of other YA characters. Fingers crossed that Bardugo does him justice with further characterization and an interesting backstory.

Last but not the least: what’s up with the weird obsession with beauty and looks in general everyone, but mostly Alina, seems to have? A big part of the book was actually either Alina implicitly complaining about her looks, envying other girls or coming to the brilliant conclusion that she couldn’t possibly be Grisha because she’s—wait for it—not beautiful enough. Yep, you’ve read it correctly. I’m not sure if it’s just Alina’s denseness, or is that a legit thing in this universe that I’ve only now found about, but I hope it’s the former. Whatever the case, it sends such a wrong message to the young girls out there reading this book.

As my expectations weren’t that high to begin with, I can’t say I was disappointed with the way this book went. Some things I liked, others I didn’t, but overall, it was okay. Easy to read and entertaining enough, perfect for a long bus ride like the one I’ve read it on. Still, if you are looking for something akin to Six of Crows, fresh and witty with mind-blowing plot twists and amazing, morally gray characters, I’m afraid this is not the right book for you.

There is one more thing I simply have to mention, though: Leigh Bardugo really knows how to pace her stories in a way that creates tension where needed, even when writing from the POV of a character I don’t really care about. Her beautiful writing style, along with some of the characters earned this book a solid 3 star rating.



Lara | ★★½☆☆


I didn’t quite enjoy this book, but I’m planning on finishing the trilogy.

Alina Starkov, young orphan, and mapmaker, believes she is ordinary most of her life until one day her friend is badly injured and she discovers her extraordinary power. She is sent to train with other Grisha under the supervision of powerful and mysterious Darkling, who hides many secrets. After all, Alina’s power might decide the future of Ravka and, perhaps, the entire world.

First of all, this book has a really boring plot. Even though I love this universe author created, this book was really static. Most of the book was Alina’s training and besides last chapter, there was no real action.
I usually don’t like the first-person perspective and this book was no exception. Reading from Alina’s perspective was horrible, because I did not like her as character at all. She is too naive and not really bright. She believed anyone who offers her anything that could or might make sense. She is very weak-minded and gives up to easily. She didn’t even try to fight Darkling even though she had multiple chances to free herself or Mal.
Only character I actually liked was Mal. Even with everything he endured he kept fighting and learned from his mistakes. I hope to read something from his perspective. At least whiny Alina has someone with a bit sense.

I expected something more after Six of Crows, but this book isn’t bad. I recommend it to everyone who likes classic YA fantasy books with a female teenage protagonist.

You May Also Like

2 komentari

  1. Yeah the story is pretty basic when you think about it BUT when it first came out, it was LIT™ - the hot "villain as a love interest" trend had just begun and it was all the rage XD I remember liking it, not loving it though. Probably because I couldn't connect with Alina and because I didn't like the direction the third book took (unexpected rhyme time XD)

    That's why I was so hesitant to start SoC - because I didn't fall in love with SaB like everyone else did. It was decent (I'd give it 3.5 stars for the whole trilogy) but not that good. Hopefully the TV show will be better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can totally imagine 2015/16 Lina absolutely loving it because of all that XD But trends change, and I guess I have already read too many similar books by now. Plus, as you probably already noticed, I'm not really a fan of Alina hahahah

      - Lina

      Delete