Samantha Shannon: The Bone Season (The Bone Season #1) | Lara

by - 3:01 pm

The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people’s minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.
It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.
The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine and also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut.


“There was no normal. There never had been. "Normal" and "natural" were the biggest lies we'd ever created.” 

The year is 2059 and London is under a strict regime of the national force, also known as Scion. Their purpose is to protect people from clairvoyants, also known as “unnaturals”. Paige Mahoney is one of them, having the ability to enter people’s dreamscapes and alter their contents. There are all kinds of clairvoyants, but what connects them all is their ability to use aether – a space where spirits of the dead reside. Clairvoyants aren’t welcome in Scion and are commonly hunted and killed, believed to a disease of some kind, which could be hopefully cured by experimenting on them. One day, Paige is caught on a train by Scion and soon captured. They have taken her to a forgotten city of Oxford, which is actually a penal colony of Rephaim called Sheol I. Rephaim are creatures from another galaxy who inhabited the earth and protect it from monsters, but in return, the government is obliged to send them shipments of clairvoyant recruits every twenty years.

It would be meager to say that I hated the world building because I absolutely despised it. It’s hard to get yourself interested in such boring and monotone worldbuilding especially when the author has zero (0) intentions of explaining or making it any more interesting to you. I actually can’t remember one part of this book where it was clearly and thoroughly explained how and where clairvoyant powers work, what can they do, what are the kinds of clairvoyants and where do they come from. They can go to something called aether and do exactly what there? From all I got, Paige walks in the field of poppies, that’s what her power is – and then she stepped in the sunlight whAt? I don’t care, I really wanted to care because many people seemed to like these books, but I just couldn’t. It’s like Shannon didn’t even TRY to make me care for this book with one percent of my being.

Paige was the only character, wait no, the only thing I cared about in this book. She was actually pretty cool and badass, stubborn and determined and I loved her journey through the Sheol and her fight against the Rephaim who have been abusing humans for centuries. I just love this romance trope soo much and I don’t care how many times I see it I’ll always have a special spot in my heart for characters who are hopelessly in love with someone who kinda doesn’t notice them. I really liked Nick’s character and even could see myself liking the path this book has taken until the ending ruined it all.

*ye who continue reading beware of the maleficent spoilers* I started reading this book and I was, you know, confused because nothing made sense, but well, nothing does for the most books in the beginning so I said yeah let’s move on this might get good yet. Then I was annoyed and bored to tears, but I kept going and it would have been just fine, like, fine, if it just bored me, but no then this shit was pulled and it made me SO ANGRY. I was angry at this book and angry at author forever pairing Paige with 200+-year-old guy who has no personality and chemistry between them and it just happened out of nowhere and it was SO FUCKING ANTICLIMATING – like I had to skip few pages so I wouldn’t read about their kiss – this is actually so weird because I haven’t skipped a kiss scene once in my life. I know people out there are complaining about the Feysand age gap, but this was so devastatingly gross and unnecessary and terrible and I wish they’d both die right about now :)

You May Also Like

0 komentari