V.E. Schwab: A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) | Lara

by - 6:27 pm


It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift--back into Black London.

Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games--an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries--a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.


"She bent most of the rules. She broke the rest."

I'd like someone to erase my memory so I can read this book for the first time, again.
This book was… I don't know what was this book, but if someone told me I would like it more than the first one I wouldn't believe it. Honestly, when I think about it this book constantly reminds me of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

The plot follows happenings of the Essen Tasch – a tournament where the strongest magicians from three empires compete.  There wasn't much going on aside from the tournament and happenings in Red London. There were some glimpses of what was happening in White London and indications of potential dangers surrounding Vitari and the Legend of Black London. See, that was the reason I thought I wouldn't like this book. Sure, the tournament itself was interesting and there were some twists around it, but I felt like there wasn't going to be any "real action" until the very end. But this book has a certain depth that made it interesting and fun despite its lack of motion.

The way I see this book after finishing it is like some kind of link between A Darker Shade of Magic and A Conjuring of Light. Yeah, that's because it's the second book in the trilogy, I know. But the first and the third have well-established plot and villains, their beginning and end, the whole problematics connected with the dark magic leaking from the Black London, while in the second book there is little notion of dark magic and Black London – main characters don't against dark magic or some other forces.  This book is a well-developed, interesting and dynamic introduction to A Conjuring of the Light. *spoiler* I realized that while finishing it since Holland lured Kell in White London during the last few chapters. That's where the actual danger/action/whatever-you-want to call it, and it lasted shortly before a massive cliffhanger – which only confirmed my assumption that this is a preparation for the third and final book. 

I don't know if anyone will get what I am trying to say xd since it looks pretty logical in my head but when I try to put it in a review it is just a lasagna of words. Yep, so that's the reason I thought I would not like this book – why would I like something that has a purpose of being a cool prologue?
Well for starters, despite its lack of motion, this book was really intriguing and fun to read. A lot was happening around Essen Tasch and readers have a chance to learn a great deal more about Kell's world, its magic and people of other empires – Faro and Vesk.

Second, and my favorite thing about this book, are characters. Reading this book, I've come to love Schwab's characters real a great deal. Sure, I liked them before, but during this book, there was so much of them I couldn't see – layers, depths, feelings and dilemma's that made me love almost every single one of them. This book has a purpose of deepening character's development and relationships between them, while still following the story.

While Darker Shade of Magic was focused mostly on Kell and Lila's characters, the second installment expands its perspective, including POVs of other characters like Rhy and Alucard, and even Hastra, Tieren, king and queen. As I said before, I liked Lila and Kell before, but after finishing this book I started to love them with the power of universe xd  I discovered how precious Kell is and I'd be happy to die for him, anytime. The bond, friendship, and love that surrounds him and Rhy is real, like I could feel their love and struggle with the painful bond they share. Kell's character got way more interesting, mostly because of his relationship with his adoptive parents. God I hate them, they call Kell a son, but they couldn't forgive him after causing a disaster that is both brothers' fault. Of course, he is left feeling like a symbol of power and protector of the crown prince, instead of their son. He is dragged in a bottomless pit of despair and loneliness, *spoiler* to the point when he loses it – this was my favorite scene in the whole book when he disappeared after Lila's overuse of her magic. It was really emotional and I felt it, just then I knew how much I loved Schwab's characters.


"Standing there on display was painful enough. 
Now came the truly unfortunate task of socializing."

(someone just tells me Kell isn't my soulmate)

From the perspective of Lila's character, there is a lot she has to deal with. After four months spent at sea, she returns to London and faces something she always runs from – feelings. I had a grand time reading about Lila's growing feelings for Kell and ‘fighting that urge to turn away and run'. Lila is awesome and badass, especially when she starts using magic and steals her spot into the Essen Tasch. I love it how she's always up for an adventure, doesn't fear and bulk from challenges, she always knew she was ‘something more' *spoiler* Can we all just stop and scream at the fact that LILA IS ANTARI?? Like, wow I will die if I don't get Kell and Lila's backstories.


"Look, everyone talks about the unknown like it's some big scary thing, but it's the familiar that's always bothered me. It's heavy, builds up around you like rocks until it's walls and a ceiling and a cell."

I also have a weak spot for cool squads, and this book has a big potential in making one: if we combine ultimate bromances Kell and Rhy, Lila and Alucard, with cool-badass-fluffy couples Lila and Kell, Rhy and Alucard – I would die for that, so Victoria please make it happen.


You May Also Like

0 komentari